Koinobori (こいのぼり) is carp-shaped wind socks traditionally flown on May 5th in Japan to celebrate "Tango no Sekku" (端午の節句), boy's festival, in honor of sons and in the hope that they will grow up healthy and strong.
However in 1948, the government renamed the day "Kodomo no Hi" (こどもの日), children's day, to respect children's personalities and to celebrate their happiness.
But we Japanese still celebrate "Tango no Sekku" on this day! If you come to Japan, you will find many foods and products represent Koinobori (carp)!
So, today, I will show you how to make carp-shaped spring rolls because my darling requested it. hehe
Koinobori Spring Rolls
Time: 1 hour
Number of servings: 10
10 spring roll pastry (wrappers)
100g (3.5oz.) thinly sliced pork
100g (3.5oz.) carrot
100g (3.5oz.) cabbage
1 (30g=1.1oz.) green pepper
80g (3oz.) boiled takenoko (bamboo shoot)
2 shiitake mushrooms *dried ones are perfect
1 tbsp. cooking oil
* 1 tbsp. soy sauce
* 1 tbsp. sake
* 2 tsp. sugar
* 3 tbsp. water *chicken stock is perfect
* salt and pepper
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. katakuriko (starch) with 2 tbsp. water
a bit of flour and water to seal the spring roll pastry
vegetable oil for frying
boiled star-shaped carrot
boiled green beans
sliced American cheese and nori sheet for eyes
ketchup for fish scales
1. Thinly slice the pork and the vegetables. *season the pork with salt and pepper if you have time
2. Heat cooking oil in a frying pan and saute the pork. When the pork starts to change color, add carrots, bamboo shoots, green peppers, shiitake mushrooms, and cabbages in order. Then cook until softened and season with A.
3. Turn off the heat, add katakuriko (starch) with water, heat again to thicken the sauce, then season with sesame oil. Stop the heat and leave it to cool completely.
4. Divide the filling into 10 portions. Place 1 portion of the filling about 2 inches above the bottom corner of the spring roll pastry. Roll the wrapper half-way. Then fold both sides in toward the center and continue to roll. Spread a small amount of the mixture of flour and water on the tip to seal.
5. Heat vegetable oil in a large pan to 140C (284F). Dip 5 (or maybe all if you have a large pan) spring rolls and fry them slowly until golden brown and crisp, stirring occasionally. *It takes about 10 minutes but in this way you will get crispy spring rolls!
1. Place the boiled green beans, the boiled star-shaped carrot and the spring rolls on a plate.
2. Cut out the sliced American cheese and nori sheet to make the eyes. Draw fish scales with ketchup.
* If you want a dipping sauce, you can mix soy sauce and Japanese mustard (Karashi) together.
I hope you can make this for your boys :D
Girl's day recipe is HERE.
Easy Hinaningyo Rice Balls for Hinamatsuri
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
Yakiniku (焼肉) is Japanese Grilled Meat. In this video, I will show you how to make Yakiniku in a blink ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Japanese style gender reveal sweet treat idea!!! You will find Black Moor Goldfish if it is a boy, Red Goldfish if it is a girl =) https:...
Ohagi or Botamochi is a traditional Japanese sweet made with sweet sticky rice and sweet Azuki (red bean paste). There are different stories...
Harihari came from the crunchy texture of Daikon radish. This dish goes great with white rice! Not really for bento box because it smells :P...
You need only 2 ingredients! Super easy comfort food, perfect on cold weather. Healthier than drinking hot chocolate ;) https://www.you...
Easy and refreshing salad idea :) Yukari (ゆかり) is a very popular Japanese red Shiso leaves (red perilla) rice seasoning. http://www.you...
Sakura Mochi is Wagashi (Japanese confectionery) which is pink like Sakura (cherry blossom). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8xdNGcAg5k ...
Umaki is broiled eel wrapped in Japanese rolled omelette (called Tamagoyaki, Dashimakitamago, or Atsuyakitamago). Egg is juicy and eel makes...
Quick and easy recipe using a frying pan. Fluffy, moist and chewy!!! You can add spices if you like ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K...
Anmitsu is a traditional Japanese healthy Wagashi (dessert) mainly consists of small cubes of Kanten (agar agar) jelly, Anko (sweet red bean...