Koinobori (こいのぼり) is carp-shaped wind socks traditionally flown on May 5th in Japan to celebrate "Tango no Sekku" (端午の節句), boy's festival, in honor of sons and in the hope that they will grow up healthy and strong.
However in 1948, the government renamed the day "Kodomo no Hi" (こどもの日), children's day, to respect children's personalities and to celebrate their happiness.
But we Japanese still celebrate "Tango no Sekku" on this day! If you come to Japan, you will find many foods and products represent Koinobori (carp)!
So, today, I will show you how to make carp-shaped spring rolls because my darling requested it. hehe
Koinobori Spring Rolls
Time: 1 hour
Number of servings: 10
10 spring roll pastry (wrappers)
100g (3.5oz.) thinly sliced pork
100g (3.5oz.) carrot
100g (3.5oz.) cabbage
1 (30g=1.1oz.) green pepper
80g (3oz.) boiled takenoko (bamboo shoot)
2 shiitake mushrooms *dried ones are perfect
1 tbsp. cooking oil
* 1 tbsp. soy sauce
* 1 tbsp. sake
* 2 tsp. sugar
* 3 tbsp. water *chicken stock is perfect
* salt and pepper
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. katakuriko (starch) with 2 tbsp. water
a bit of flour and water to seal the spring roll pastry
vegetable oil for frying
boiled star-shaped carrot
boiled green beans
sliced American cheese and nori sheet for eyes
ketchup for fish scales
1. Thinly slice the pork and the vegetables. *season the pork with salt and pepper if you have time
2. Heat cooking oil in a frying pan and saute the pork. When the pork starts to change color, add carrots, bamboo shoots, green peppers, shiitake mushrooms, and cabbages in order. Then cook until softened and season with A.
3. Turn off the heat, add katakuriko (starch) with water, heat again to thicken the sauce, then season with sesame oil. Stop the heat and leave it to cool completely.
4. Divide the filling into 10 portions. Place 1 portion of the filling about 2 inches above the bottom corner of the spring roll pastry. Roll the wrapper half-way. Then fold both sides in toward the center and continue to roll. Spread a small amount of the mixture of flour and water on the tip to seal.
5. Heat vegetable oil in a large pan to 140C (284F). Dip 5 (or maybe all if you have a large pan) spring rolls and fry them slowly until golden brown and crisp, stirring occasionally. *It takes about 10 minutes but in this way you will get crispy spring rolls!
1. Place the boiled green beans, the boiled star-shaped carrot and the spring rolls on a plate.
2. Cut out the sliced American cheese and nori sheet to make the eyes. Draw fish scales with ketchup.
* If you want a dipping sauce, you can mix soy sauce and Japanese mustard (Karashi) together.
I hope you can make this for your boys :D
Girl's day recipe is HERE.
Easy Hinaningyo Rice Balls for Hinamatsuri
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
You just need 6 ingredients ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzugYxNMD4Y By using cocoa powder instead of Matcha powder, you can make...
Only 3 Ingredients!!! Looks and tastes refreshing ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8PMzIeEaY Perfect summer treat. And sure, you ...
Very moist and tasty chicken nuggets which satisfies you while on diet :D Okara (soy pulp) is a bean curd refuse which is left after makin...
Chiffon-like fluffy Matcha cupcakes with red bean sauce. Perfect WAFU combination ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZltUWKYwxg Instea...
Japanese Raindrop Cake looks like a big drop of water. It is a transparent jelly-like cake served with Kuromitsu (brown sugar syrup) and Kin...
This is a very basic recipe for Gyoza (fried dumplings)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffvdeBY6Ryw Gyoza is originally a Chinese dish,...
Harumaki was requested by my darling =) I combined my favorite shrimp and my darling's favorite meat (pork) together. http://www.yo...
Simple yet delicious. Don't you have an experience selecting hard unripe avocado even if you have examined it carefully?! This is the ...
You don't need an oven :) Crunchy crust and moist cream cheese filling. yummy!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJgR90_-W_4 Just ...
I eat sesame seed snack every day, so I decided to make this :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-qf1D8wv20 Since maple syrup is very s...