Google+

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Corn Tofu (How to Make Soymilk Tofu) - Video Recipe

This video will show you how to make a tofu using soy milk and gelatin. Adding creamed corn makes the tofu really aromatic and appetizing. It is something similar to drinking Korean corn tea ;)

This is NOT a dessert!
Maybe you can make this on April Fools' Day, though. hehe


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7xVuBqih3M

Last weekend, my darling and I were invited to a cooking school at a restaurant in Tokyo.
http://cooking.gnavi.co.jp/detail/g839302/002116_g839302.html
We learned 3 dishes (blueberry cocktail, salt simmered pork and potatoes, and sudachi (citrus) soba. We tasted all the dishes at the end of the class. Then the chef also served us corn tofu, which was just my kind of food!!! I asked the chef what he used and he said he grated the corn in the mixer with soymilk and used gelatin to firm up. I was totally inspired by that recipe and used canned creamed corn instead and it worked out amazingly XD

So here is the recipe!!!



BTW, do you go to cooking school? Me? I never paid to learn how to cook. But I was invited to many free classes in the past and they all inspired me to cook something new!!! So, I think it is nice to attend a cooking class once in a while for a change but I just can't pay for such an experience because I already have too many ideas!!!

I hope my videos inspire you, too! hehe

---------------------------------
Corn Tofu

Difficulty: Very Easy
Time: 10min + 1-2hrs refrigeration time
Number of servings: 4-5

Ingredients:
200ml unflavored soymilk
60ml canned sweet corn cream style
5g (0.18oz.) unflavored gelatin
2 tbsp. water
Kamada Dashi Shoyu or regular soy sauce

Directions:
1. In a saucepan, mix soymilk and creamed corn. Put on low heat and warm them up to body temperature (do not boil). Then remove from the heat.
2. Put unflavored gelatin in 2 tbsp. water and mix well (allow the gelatin to absorb the water). Microwave at 500w for 20-30sec and mix well. *Please follow the instructions on the package of your gelatin.
3. Add 2. in 1. and mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into pudding cups or containers of your choice and let them firm up in the fridge for 1-2hrs.
5. Serve with a dash of Kamada Dashi Shoyu or regular soy sauce.

レシピ(日本語)
http://www.cooklabo.blogspot.jp/2012/06/blog-post_19.html
---------------------------------


Tofu Cheesecake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAcyI7tOmCs

♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
http://www.youtube.com/ochikeron

♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
http://www.facebook.com/Ochikeron/

♥Follow me on twitter♥
http://twitter.com/ochikeron (English)
http://twitter.com/alohaforever (Japanese)

♥My Cookbook♥

5 comments:

  1. That's super interesting!! I am going to try it !!! You are so smart to become such a great cook without going to school!!! I have to go to school for my beauty education, but i really regret it.. I paid 15 thousand dollars and went to school every day for 9 months and only useful thing i got was the certificate... but I really admire you for your smartness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you jenia :D

    oh, but the certificate is necessary in many cases, so that is not a waste. i wish i could have time and money for that, you know. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ochikeron,
    I am writing to you now to say hello and express my appreciation for all the work you have done until now dedicating yourself to cooking delicious Japanese food.
    My message will be/is rather long, so read it only if you have time and patience.

    *) I have recently stumbled upon your videos and have relied upon them in order to be able to cook the tasty dishes you suggest. I like them because they are well organized, nicely presented, delicious and just so cute :)
    I am very new to cooking, but so far I have made the carrot cake, chocolate chip cookies, dorayaki and stir-fry cabbage.
    1) The carrot cake was my first time cooking (I made 2 loafs and coated them in vanilla cream) and I was very nervous to get all the proportions right. At one point I became worried because my batter was more yellowish than orange like in your video, but I added a little more carrot and used a masher(?) instead of a whisk and it became more like a paste and more orange. It turned out great in the end and I felt relieved. And it stayed soft for 3 days. Even my family liked it, and they are hard to please.
    2) Encouraged by my first 'success', I tried the chocolate chip cookies recipe and it was great too. I almost started gaining confidence. 3) Tastewise, I think the Dorayaki was correct, but the brown side was either lighter or darker than in your video and that made me wonder what I am doing wrong. I think it's the timing. Could you give me a timing estimate in seconds for each side of the Dorayaki?
    Also, no matter how slowly I tried to pour the batter, it did not maintain its round shape like in your video, it just took it's own shape. What must I do to make sure it stays round?
    4) The stir-fry cabbage looked appetizing and accessible to make, so I gave it try...but even though I followed the instructions carefully and the other vegetables were soft, the cabbage itself was hard to chew. And the final overall taste was lacking. Being new to cooking, I think I might have overcooked or undercooked it, I'm not sure. Could you be so kind as to specify timing after the addition of each ingredient? Maybe I did not remove enough leaves from the cabbage, or I did not cut it properly? Is it possible I am doing the stir-frying process wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5) My mother's birthday is tomorrow and I was thinking of making her the Rilakkuma Omurice recipe you posted because it's so cute it would melt even my mother's heart (or at least that's what I hope).
    I watched your How to Cook Steamed White Rice in a Pot tutorial. I believe all is clear. And instead of Okoge, I will just turn off the stove and let the rice sit and steam for 15 min.
    But once in the frying-pan, how many minutes do I push the onion back and forth? And how many minutes for the rice before and after adding ketchup? I want to be sure I don't accidentally burn it.
    And just in case I have trouble molding the rice with the plastic bag, is there any alternative method possible? I want to make Rilakkuma right since he is the 'star of the show' so to speak. Even I cannot screw up the omelette :P
    As for the eyes, ears, paws, stomach etc., I will find objects with similar shape to use as molds and cut along them. I am determined to complete this cute dish successfully. I accept any advice you can give me.
    =============================
    Now, as off-topic, I just wanted to say congratulations for overcoming the hardships all of Japan has had to face in the last period. I can only imagine how shocking and difficult it could be to have one's life shaken so drastically. But even for just people like me who were just watching, it was a lesson of strength of will, endurance of mentality, self-sacrifice, solidarity and amazing adaptability to move on with mind and spirit intact, just as strong. And also congratulations for all your hard work cooking, filming/editing and uploading your videos. Very few people have the possibility to do what they enjoy and dedicate themselves to what they are passionate about. You are quite talented and you have an air of optimism and joy when cooking that makes you stand out. Maybe your personal charisma is your 'secret ingredient' :P It's quite valuable. I should know. I'm light-years away from ~cute~ or ~sympatique~ and I know from experience that lacking such appealing traits takes away at leat 40% of a person's impression regardless of how good one's performance is. So in your case it enhances the overall quality.
    Also, your English is quite good and I like your accent. It's sweet and adds a personal touch to the presentation. When/How have you learned it? Do you think it is easier to know Japanese first and learn English as a foreign language or vice-versa? I am interested in your opinion because I have learned English and Spanish while I was watching cartoons between ages 2 to 5 years old. It happened naturally, without effort. And I was hoping that even if I am older now and Japanese is indeed far more complex as a language...maybe it too can be learned naturally? Or maybe it has too many nuances to be able to absorb even with subtitles? How do you deal with languages?
    Do you believe there are periods of time that are unlucky? Where external circumstances affect your performance no matter how determined or good you try to be? I notice that sometimes. Like when a day goes poorly from the begging and you just stop countering it. Like if you wait very long and a bus doesn't come you walk, or if a person shows up and might delay your schedule you just let it be and postpone it and there's just this feeling of things not going 100% like themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  5. And, I hope this doesn't sound odd, but how do you keep optimistic? I mean, you always give off that impression in your videos. And I just started browsing your blog, and from what I've read so far you have quite a few achievements under your belt and an overall happy life. But you are yourself even without the achievements and recognition, even during the lows in life. How do you manage to deal with the bad time? How did you get to where you are now? What if things hadn't worked out as wished? How to keep a positive outlook?
    ==========
    Those were all my questions/comments. I am so sorry to consume so much of your time with this long message, but this was all I had to say and I won't bother you until later on.
    Thank you for reading my message. I appreciate the time you invested in it.(I hope you are not upset)
    Take care. Bye-bye.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts - Last 7 days