Saikyo Yaki is a very popular traditional Japanese grilled fish marinated in Saikyo Miso (sweet white Miso) made in Kyoto. After marinating the fish fillets (black cod, salmon, sea bass, Japanese spanish mackerel, etc…) overnight, Miso soaks into the fish, tenderizes, and gives absolutely delicious, sweet and rich flavor! Perfect dish to go with white rice :)
Saikyo Miso (white Miso) is usually available at a local Japanese grocery store. You can substitute the Saikyo Miso with regular miso, but it may become saltier.
If you get a chance to go to Kyoto, I recommend trying out 九重味噌 (Kokonoemiso)! Their Saikyo Miso is amazingly good :)
Saikyo Yaki (Grilled White Miso-Marinated Fish)
Number of servings: 4
4 fish fillets (black cod, salmon, sea bass, Japanese spanish mackerel, etc…)
* 300g (10.5oz.) Saikyo white Miso
* 3 tbsp. Sake
* 3 tbsp. Mirin (sweet Sake)
1. Sprinkle salt on both sides of the fillets of your choice. Set aside for about 30 minutes. By salting the fish fillets, the fishy smell and excess moisture can be removed, so do not skip this step.
2. Mix A very well.
3. In a shallow container, spread half of the Miso marinade. Place surgical gauze over the marinade. Pat dry the fish with paper towel. Lay the fish fillets so that they don't overlap, then press them lightly to set in place. Fold the other half of the gauze over the fish to enclose them. Spread the remaining marinade over the gauze. Cover with the lid or plastic wrap. Let them marinate in the fridge for overnight to 2 days (2 days max is enough as the fish will get too salty). *By using gauze, you don't have to rinse off the marinade before cooking. Excess marinade on the fish may burn easily.
4. If you didn't use gauze, remove the marinade completely. Cook the fish until golden brown on both sides.
oven: 220C (428F) for about 15 min
toaster oven: 1000w for about 8 min
fish grill: low heat for 5 min on both sides
*you can reuse the marinade 2-3 times. pork, chicken, and/or shiitake mushrooms are also good.
*you can use crumpled aluminum foil instead of using the aluminum foil for frying pan.
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Friday, January 10, 2014
How to Make Saikyo Yaki (Grilled White Miso-Marinated Fish) - Video Recipe
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
You just need 6 ingredients ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzugYxNMD4Y By using cocoa powder instead of Matcha powder, you can make...
Only 3 Ingredients!!! Looks and tastes refreshing ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8PMzIeEaY Perfect summer treat. And sure, you ...
Sesame Seed Balls (芝麻球) are a Chinese sweet treat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkwHovGOSMc Instead of deep-frying them I baked in t...
Very moist and tasty chicken nuggets which satisfies you while on diet :D Okara (soy pulp) is a bean curd refuse which is left after makin...
Chawanmushi, literally "steamed in a tea cup", is a traditional Japanese savory egg custard appetizer with some little pieces of f...
Chiffon-like fluffy Matcha cupcakes with red bean sauce. Perfect WAFU combination ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZltUWKYwxg Instea...
Tamago Boro (Egg Biscuits) are very popular snack in Japan, especially among kids (from 7 month babies to toddlers)! https://www.youtube....
Perfect Christmas cake recipe for those who don't have an oven. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hwcu1K5SE Please use your favorite...
I eat sesame seed snack every day, so I decided to make this :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-qf1D8wv20 Since maple syrup is very s...
Japanese Raindrop Cake looks like a big drop of water. It is a transparent jelly-like cake served with Kuromitsu (brown sugar syrup) and Kin...