Saikyo Yaki is a very popular traditional Japanese grilled fish marinated in Saikyo Miso (sweet white Miso) made in Kyoto. After marinating the fish fillets (black cod, salmon, sea bass, Japanese spanish mackerel, etc…) overnight, Miso soaks into the fish, tenderizes, and gives absolutely delicious, sweet and rich flavor! Perfect dish to go with white rice :)
Saikyo Miso (white Miso) is usually available at a local Japanese grocery store. You can substitute the Saikyo Miso with regular miso, but it may become saltier.
If you get a chance to go to Kyoto, I recommend trying out 九重味噌 (Kokonoemiso)! Their Saikyo Miso is amazingly good :)
Saikyo Yaki (Grilled White Miso-Marinated Fish)
Number of servings: 4
4 fish fillets (black cod, salmon, sea bass, Japanese spanish mackerel, etc…)
* 300g (10.5oz.) Saikyo white Miso
* 3 tbsp. Sake
* 3 tbsp. Mirin (sweet Sake)
1. Sprinkle salt on both sides of the fillets of your choice. Set aside for about 30 minutes. By salting the fish fillets, the fishy smell and excess moisture can be removed, so do not skip this step.
2. Mix A very well.
3. In a shallow container, spread half of the Miso marinade. Place surgical gauze over the marinade. Pat dry the fish with paper towel. Lay the fish fillets so that they don't overlap, then press them lightly to set in place. Fold the other half of the gauze over the fish to enclose them. Spread the remaining marinade over the gauze. Cover with the lid or plastic wrap. Let them marinate in the fridge for overnight to 2 days (2 days max is enough as the fish will get too salty). *By using gauze, you don't have to rinse off the marinade before cooking. Excess marinade on the fish may burn easily.
4. If you didn't use gauze, remove the marinade completely. Cook the fish until golden brown on both sides.
oven: 220C (428F) for about 15 min
toaster oven: 1000w for about 8 min
fish grill: low heat for 5 min on both sides
*you can reuse the marinade 2-3 times. pork, chicken, and/or shiitake mushrooms are also good.
*you can use crumpled aluminum foil instead of using the aluminum foil for frying pan.
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Friday, January 10, 2014
How to Make Saikyo Yaki (Grilled White Miso-Marinated Fish) - Video Recipe
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
Japanese style gender reveal sweet treat idea!!! You will find Black Moor Goldfish if it is a boy, Red Goldfish if it is a girl =) https:...
Inarizushi (稲荷寿司) is a pouch of aburaage (fried tofu) filled with sushi rice. This recipe is perfect for parties or any kind of event! I...
You need only 2 ingredients! Super easy comfort food, perfect on cold weather. Healthier than drinking hot chocolate ;) https://www.you...
Harihari came from the crunchy texture of Daikon radish. This dish goes great with white rice! Not really for bento box because it smells :P...
Very easy and beautiful idea to decorate your sweets :) Sakura will be in bloom in April. Can't wait for spring to come!!! http://...
Anmitsu is a traditional Japanese healthy Wagashi (dessert) mainly consists of small cubes of Kanten (agar agar) jelly, Anko (sweet red bean...
Quick and easy recipe using a frying pan. Fluffy, moist and chewy!!! You can add spices if you like ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K...
My friend Mandi sent me some gifts from Tacoma! http://createeathappy.blogspot.jp/2014/04/gifts-from-tacoma-washington.html She was a hos...
Japanese Doll Festival (Hinamatsuri), or Girls' Day, is held on March 3rd. On this day, we set up hina dolls (hina-ningyo) since they a...
Mix and bake! Super easy and healthy!!! Very rich and tasty without dairy product. yum Note: please use a square cake pan for the brownie...