Harihari came from the crunchy texture of Daikon radish. This dish goes great with white rice! Not really for bento box because it smells :P hehe
You can simmer Japanese amberjack with leftover cooking liquid to make Buri Teriyaki. I will show you how in the end of this video.
This is another recipe which my Oba-chan (grandma) taught me on the day we made Ikanago no Kugini.
My blog post about our trip to Kobe:
Souvenirs from Kobe:
Harihari-Ni (Simmered Crunchy Daikon Radish)
Time: 2hrs + overnight
Number of servings: N/A
1.5kg (3.3lb) Daikon radish (unpeeled)
1.5 large ginger (thinly sliced)
* 4 Umeboshi (pickled plums)
* 300g (10.6oz.) Sanontou (soft brown sugar)
* 150ml soy sauce
* 75ml vinegar (cereal or rice)
1. Slice Daikon radish into quarter-rounds. Toss with salt (make sure it is not too salty but tasty). About 1 tsp. of salt was enough. Then leave for few hours (or overnight) until wilted.
2. Put A in a pot and bring to a boil.
3. Squeeze out the water (with your hands) from Daikon radish. Place the Daikon and sliced ginger alternately in the pot, then simmer for 5-6 minutes. Remove the foam if necessary.
4. Drain with a strainer.
5. Place the cooking liquid back into the pot, then simmer down to half the amount.
6. Place back the Daikon radish, mix, then stop the heat.
7. Leave for an hour until cool. Drain with a strainer to separate the Daikon radish and the cooking liquid to finish.
You can save the cooking liquid to make Buri (Japanese amberjack) Teriyaki or any other dishes :)
You can keep it in a large container for about few months BUT I recommend to store it in small quantity (in a Ziploc bag is okay), since it can easily get bad if you open and close the container frequently.
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
You just need 6 ingredients ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzugYxNMD4Y By using cocoa powder instead of Matcha powder, you can make...
Very moist and tasty chicken nuggets which satisfies you while on diet :D Okara (soy pulp) is a bean curd refuse which is left after makin...
Only 3 Ingredients!!! Looks and tastes refreshing ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8PMzIeEaY Perfect summer treat. And sure, you ...
Japanese Raindrop Cake looks like a big drop of water. It is a transparent jelly-like cake served with Kuromitsu (brown sugar syrup) and Kin...
Chiffon-like fluffy Matcha cupcakes with red bean sauce. Perfect WAFU combination ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZltUWKYwxg Instea...
This is a very basic recipe for Gyoza (fried dumplings)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffvdeBY6Ryw Gyoza is originally a Chinese dish,...
Harumaki was requested by my darling =) I combined my favorite shrimp and my darling's favorite meat (pork) together. http://www.yo...
Simple yet delicious. Don't you have an experience selecting hard unripe avocado even if you have examined it carefully?! This is the ...
You don't need an oven :) Crunchy crust and moist cream cheese filling. yummy!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJgR90_-W_4 Just ...
はしまき (Hashimaki) is Okonomiyaki wrapped around a pair of chopsticks. It is a popular festival food in Kansai area. http://www.youtube.com...