Japanese Doll Festival (Hinamatsuri), or Girls' Day, is held on March 3rd.
On this day, we set up hina dolls (hina-ningyo) since they are believed to protect girls from bad luck.
This year (2015) was my daughter's 1st Hinamatsuri! The very first celebration is important, when family members hope for growth and happiness for baby girls. My daughter still can't eat anything but I hope she liked this Sushi cake :)
Hishi Mochi (diamond shaped rice cake) is usually presented with hina dolls. Hishi Mochi commonly consists of three layers: pink, white, and green, from top to bottom. It is said that pink represents peach flowers, white represents snow, and green represents grass. Those colors have a meaning to get the power of nature. Therefore, I used these three colors for my Sushi Cake :)
Sushi Cake for Hinamatsuri
Number of servings: 4 people = 15cm (6inch) round cake pan
green/white/pink Sushi rice
Kinshi Tamago (shredded egg crepe)
2 quail eggs
Nori seaweed sheet
Ikura (salmon roe)
Sakura Denbu (pink colored seasoned shredded codfish)
1. Wet the cake pan (or line with plastic wrap). Place the crab meat Sushi rice and press down flat with a rice paddle or a spoon. Then place the white Sushi rice and the Aonori Sushi rice one after another and flatten as well. Turn the cake pan upside down onto a plate to remove the rice.
2. Make a thin ribbon of cucumber for Odairisama (prince)'s Kimono and slice the leftover into thin rounds.
3. Cut out the egg crepe and make a scepter and a fan. Thinly slice the leftover.
4. Place the cucumber slices and shredded egg crepe on the Sushi cake. Wrap the quail eggs with a cucumber ribbon (prince) and smoked salmon (princess). Let them hold the scepter (prince) and the fan (princess). Cut out Nori sheet to make their faces. Attach their hairs with bento picks. Garnish with Ikura and Sakura Denbu to finish.
* お雛様 (ohinasama: princess) holds a fan called 扇子 (sensu) in both hands.
* お内裏様 (odairisama: prince) holds a flat wooden scepter called 笏 (shaku) symbolic of his rank in his right hand.
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
Yakiniku (焼肉) is Japanese Grilled Meat. In this video, I will show you how to make Yakiniku in a blink ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Japanese style gender reveal sweet treat idea!!! You will find Black Moor Goldfish if it is a boy, Red Goldfish if it is a girl =) https:...
Ohagi or Botamochi is a traditional Japanese sweet made with sweet sticky rice and sweet Azuki (red bean paste). There are different stories...
Harihari came from the crunchy texture of Daikon radish. This dish goes great with white rice! Not really for bento box because it smells :P...
Easy and refreshing salad idea :) Yukari (ゆかり) is a very popular Japanese red Shiso leaves (red perilla) rice seasoning. http://www.you...
Sakura Mochi is Wagashi (Japanese confectionery) which is pink like Sakura (cherry blossom). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8xdNGcAg5k ...
Umaki is broiled eel wrapped in Japanese rolled omelette (called Tamagoyaki, Dashimakitamago, or Atsuyakitamago). Egg is juicy and eel makes...
Quick and easy recipe using a frying pan. Fluffy, moist and chewy!!! You can add spices if you like ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K...
Mix and bake! Super easy and healthy!!! Very rich and tasty without dairy product. yum Note: please use a square cake pan for the brownie...
You need only 2 ingredients! Super easy comfort food, perfect on cold weather. Healthier than drinking hot chocolate ;) https://www.you...