Matsutake Gohan (pine mushroom rice) is a very simple rice dish to enjoy the flavor of Matsutake mushrooms!
I saw on TV that you can create the Matsutake flavor by cooking Eryngii (royal trumpet) mushrooms and unshelled Edamame together since Eryngii mushrooms have the same texture as Matsutake and Edamame pods have the same flavor component as Matsutake. Very scientific logic. haha
It went viral in Japan, so I tried it out. Yes, it becomes a very dainty Matsutake rice dish. Try out and see how you like it ;)
Mock Matsutake Gohan (Pine Mushroom Rice)
Difficulty: Super Easy
Number of servings: 4
3 cups uncooked Japanese rice (short-grain rice)
100g (3.5oz.) Eryngii (royal trumpet) mushrooms
100g (3.5oz.) unshelled Edamame *fresh ones
* 600ml water
* 10cm/4inch-square Konbu (kelp)
* 1 tbsp. Sake
* 1.5 tbsp. soy sauce
* a pinch of salt
1. Wash rice and leave for about 30 minutes. If you are using pre-washed rice (musenmai) you don't have to wash it.
2. Clean Konbu with moistened towel. Soak in 600ml water for 30 minutes.
3. Slice Eryngii mushrooms. Rub the Edamame bean pods with 1 tsp. of salt to remove the surface fuzz and wash.
4. Place the rice in a pot, add Kombu Dashi (2) and the seasonings, then mix well. Place the Eryngii mushrooms and Edamame on top of the rice.
5. Place the pot into the rice cooker. Cover and press the button to start.
6. When it's done, remove Edamame (you can eat them as an appetizer), toss the rice lightly using a rice paddle, then serve.
Garnish with chopped Mitsuba (Japanese wild parsley) if you like.
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Friday, November 13, 2015
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
Yakiniku (焼肉) is Japanese Grilled Meat. In this video, I will show you how to make Yakiniku in a blink ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Japanese style gender reveal sweet treat idea!!! You will find Black Moor Goldfish if it is a boy, Red Goldfish if it is a girl =) https:...
Ohagi or Botamochi is a traditional Japanese sweet made with sweet sticky rice and sweet Azuki (red bean paste). There are different stories...
Harihari came from the crunchy texture of Daikon radish. This dish goes great with white rice! Not really for bento box because it smells :P...
You need only 2 ingredients! Super easy comfort food, perfect on cold weather. Healthier than drinking hot chocolate ;) https://www.you...
Easy and refreshing salad idea :) Yukari (ゆかり) is a very popular Japanese red Shiso leaves (red perilla) rice seasoning. http://www.you...
Sakura Mochi is Wagashi (Japanese confectionery) which is pink like Sakura (cherry blossom). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8xdNGcAg5k ...
Umaki is broiled eel wrapped in Japanese rolled omelette (called Tamagoyaki, Dashimakitamago, or Atsuyakitamago). Egg is juicy and eel makes...
Quick and easy recipe using a frying pan. Fluffy, moist and chewy!!! You can add spices if you like ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K...
Anmitsu is a traditional Japanese healthy Wagashi (dessert) mainly consists of small cubes of Kanten (agar agar) jelly, Anko (sweet red bean...