Sakura Mochi is Wagashi (Japanese confectionery) which is pink like Sakura (cherry blossom).
This video will show you how to make Kansai-style Sakura Mochi.
Kansai-style uses Domyoji powder (it is made of Mochi rice steamed, dried, and pounded very rough). The Mochi cake has rough and chewy texture. Anko is wrapped inside and covered with salty Sakura leaf. The leaf is edible but it is up to you (you can remove it).
Kanto-style has a pink crepe-like rice cake around the Anko.
Number of servings: 10 pieces
140g (5oz.) Domyoji powder
1 tbsp. sugar
200ml warm water
a bit of red food coloring
150g (5.3oz.) Koshian (sweet red bean paste without skins)
10 salt pickled Sakura leaves
1. Soak salt pickled Sakura leaves in water for 30 minutes to remove the salty flavor. Then drain well with paper towel.
2. Roll Koshian into 10 balls (15g each).
3. Place warm water in a microwavable bowl. Add a bit of red food coloring till you get pastel pink. Add sugar and mix well. Then add Domyoji powder and mix again.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave at 600 watts for 6 minutes. When it's done, leave in the microwave for 10 minutes to set.
5. Uncover and mix well. Place it in plastic wrap and shape into a log. Cut the log into 10 pieces.
6. Moisten your hands with water and flatten out the rice cake. Wrap the Anko and form the rice into a cylinder.
7. Wrap with Sakura leaves to finish.
If you don't have Domyoji powder, you can cook Mochi Rice and pound.
Anko (sweet red bean paste) from scratch video is HERE:
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Tuesday, April 19, 2016
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
Japanese style gender reveal sweet treat idea!!! You will find Black Moor Goldfish if it is a boy, Red Goldfish if it is a girl =) https:...
Inarizushi (稲荷寿司) is a pouch of aburaage (fried tofu) filled with sushi rice. This recipe is perfect for parties or any kind of event! I...
You need only 2 ingredients! Super easy comfort food, perfect on cold weather. Healthier than drinking hot chocolate ;) https://www.you...
Harihari came from the crunchy texture of Daikon radish. This dish goes great with white rice! Not really for bento box because it smells :P...
Very easy and beautiful idea to decorate your sweets :) Sakura will be in bloom in April. Can't wait for spring to come!!! http://...
Anmitsu is a traditional Japanese healthy Wagashi (dessert) mainly consists of small cubes of Kanten (agar agar) jelly, Anko (sweet red bean...
Quick and easy recipe using a frying pan. Fluffy, moist and chewy!!! You can add spices if you like ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K...
My friend Mandi sent me some gifts from Tacoma! http://createeathappy.blogspot.jp/2014/04/gifts-from-tacoma-washington.html She was a hos...
Japanese Doll Festival (Hinamatsuri), or Girls' Day, is held on March 3rd. On this day, we set up hina dolls (hina-ningyo) since they a...
Mix and bake! Super easy and healthy!!! Very rich and tasty without dairy product. yum Note: please use a square cake pan for the brownie...