One batter which magically divides into three layers, three different textures: a flan base, crème center, and génoise (sponge) top!
The recipe was originated in France and talked about in Japan in 2015.
However, if you expect smooth and creamy flan, you will get disappointed with the texture… it is pretty dense and chewy. Thus, I prefer the chocolate flavor. The flan base is just like chocolate fudge and pretty addictive ;)
Chocolate Magic Cake recipe is HERE:
Magic Custard Cake (3-Layer Cake from 1 Batter)
Number of servings: 15cm (6inch) round cake pan
90g (3.2oz.) granulated sugar *1 tbsp. for egg whites
1 tbsp. warm water
90g (3.2oz.) butter
90g (3.2oz.) cake flour
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 160C (320F).
2. Line the cake pan with parchment paper.
3. Melt the butter in a microwave at 600W for 30 seconds.
4. Warm the milk (not hot).
5. Separate the eggs.
6. Place the egg yolks in a bowl. Add warm water and sugar (leave out 1 tbsp. for egg whites), then beat them with an electric mixer until white like mayonnaise.
7. Add the melted butter little by little and mix well.
8. Sift in flour, add salt, and mix well.
9. Add milk 1/2 at a time, then add vanilla extract and mix well.
10. In a different bowl, lightly whip the egg whites. Then add 1 tbsp. of sugar and beat with an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
11. Mix 9 and 10 together for 4~5 times with a whisk. DO NOT OVER-MIX. Pour the batter into the pan and even out the surface.
12. Bake at 160C (320F) for about 45~50 minutes.
13. Leave to cool completely, then cool in the fridge for over 2 hours. Dust with powdered sugar to finish.
You can garnish with some fruits if you like :)
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
Japanese style gender reveal sweet treat idea!!! You will find Black Moor Goldfish if it is a boy, Red Goldfish if it is a girl =) https:...
Inarizushi (稲荷寿司) is a pouch of aburaage (fried tofu) filled with sushi rice. This recipe is perfect for parties or any kind of event! I...
You need only 2 ingredients! Super easy comfort food, perfect on cold weather. Healthier than drinking hot chocolate ;) https://www.you...
Harihari came from the crunchy texture of Daikon radish. This dish goes great with white rice! Not really for bento box because it smells :P...
Very easy and beautiful idea to decorate your sweets :) Sakura will be in bloom in April. Can't wait for spring to come!!! http://...
Anmitsu is a traditional Japanese healthy Wagashi (dessert) mainly consists of small cubes of Kanten (agar agar) jelly, Anko (sweet red bean...
Quick and easy recipe using a frying pan. Fluffy, moist and chewy!!! You can add spices if you like ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K...
My friend Mandi sent me some gifts from Tacoma! http://createeathappy.blogspot.jp/2014/04/gifts-from-tacoma-washington.html She was a hos...
Japanese Doll Festival (Hinamatsuri), or Girls' Day, is held on March 3rd. On this day, we set up hina dolls (hina-ningyo) since they a...
Mix and bake! Super easy and healthy!!! Very rich and tasty without dairy product. yum Note: please use a square cake pan for the brownie...